Setting the Tone

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kevin Rudd Apologises for Stolen Generations

I also watched with fascination Kevin Rudd, the Australian Prime Minister, apologise for past abuses of aborigins. I was not aware, but I am now, that the Australian government forcibly snatched children from aborigin families in name of assimilation till 1960s. What travesty, I shudder to think, to take children away from their parents and families, forcibly, to integrate them into civilization. I am sure all of it was done in the name of progress, freedom and civilization. And, I am sure this invited less attention from Western media than Mugabe's slum clearance. No apologies for Mugabe - he is a monster anyway - but some compensation to match the sincere apologies from the Prime Minster will surely help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I appreciate your comments - as this post was intended to start a conversation. I pledge to reply to every comment posted - and do come back again so that we can carry on talking.

However, kindly note that if the comment includes an unrelated web link, I wouldn't be able to publish the comment.

AddThis

Popular Posts