Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 9

I guess I am somewhat superstitious in many ways. It is tradition mixed in my mind with habit. There is this old Bengali saying about Tuesday being a good day to start things. This is ingrained in my mind, and however much I try to appear rational, I invariably tend to start things on Tuesday. This is something I shall surely never admit - but there is no point denying that I do think this way. It may not be exactly superstition - as I don't mean to say that I don't do anything on other days of the week - but some sort of prefernce and habit that I live with. In that sense, my week tends to be a Tuesday-Monday week.



Today was a fairly eventful day. There are a number of social relationships that I had to work on. This is interesting, as I am otherwise not very social. But, somehow, I did work on a number of these relationships today and had to do something about it. I also realized that I am wasting an undue amount of time on chat - something very tempting in the always-on world, but one has to reign in how much one does of it - and tried hard to cut down on the time I spent. I thought I can easily save at least half hour to an hour for pure uninterrupted work by cutting down on one or two chat relationships.



Also, I noticed that I have this obsession with email. I treat email almost as chat, always refreshing my gmail and office webmail pages in the hope someone replied to emails I sent. This is of course a clear waste of time, and I must get used to waiting for emails.


I am reading 10 Rules for Strategic Innovators by Vijay Govindarajan and Chris Trimble. I bought this book looking at the title of its chapter 4 - Why tensions rise when NewCo borrows from CoreCo - an omni-present fact in my life. Very interesting book, otherwise, too - innovation is one area which private enterprises have mastered better than in any other form of organization. My current occupation - developing an overseas presence for a company predominantly focused on a regional market - involves continuous strategic innovation and change in processes, values and attitudes. I am hoping that time spent reading this book will be helpful in my job.

No comments:

Popular Posts

How To Live

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Last Words

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

- T S Eliot

Creative Commons License

AddThis