Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Day 8 - 10: Restructuring My Life

As I came back to work after bank holiday, my work was cut out - numerous things clamouring for my attention at the same time. I had to get things done now, but my motivation to do things is at an all time low. Indeed, once I have decided to leave, I should have left - I am not certain prolonging this for six months will actually help anyone. But, then, I have responsibilities towards various franchise outfits that we have put up - the people investing in the business in Kolkata and Mumbai are both known to me personally and I can not just leave them in the larch. Besides, our partner in Manila, though a recent acquaintence, is true to her goals and I would love to see her successful too. So, I have to get on with this restructuring and reach a level of profitability before I can move on with a free mind.

My strategies are now to shift away from pure English offering and move into a diversified education offering, making our business sort of an one stop shop for UK education. I am already working on acquiring a number of qualifications to offer, mostly professional qualifications given the market in India and I shall work on offering some degree programmes too this September. I am positioning English offerings as a supplement to what we offer, which I think will be better value for our customers and allow us to go back to the assisted learning mode.

In the meantime, however, I must restructure my life first. I almost classified the three kinds of work that I have at hand - legacy, must-do and future - which I shall explain here. I have put all the work that is arising out of my past, recent and not so recent, under the Legacy label. This is work I must finish before I can get on with a more enjoyable life. Getting the business restructured and doing the jobs at hand tops this legacy list. So does getting my car sorted again, and clearing off various accounts/ dues / issues arising out of my long absence from England.

The second thing on my list is Must-Do, things that I have set out to do already and I must get done soon. Getting my PR done soon tops the list, as well as my dissertation done. I got started on my PR paperwork today. I am hoping that I shall get cracking on the Literature Review tonight. That will surely make this as a productive day.

The third thing that I must give some attention to is Future. I am looking at a legacy-to-future trade off in the coming days. I should clear my legacy list and give more and more time to the tasks related to future. I am already getting requests to work with training businesses in India in helping them to develop products, and branding the business. I do think this is exactly where my expertise lie - in marketing training, education, HR and Talent Management businesses - and I should reduce my involvement in other areas and focus myself on these. My brother is already moving forward with the Learning BPO/ Talent development business and currently I am planning to work with him on an advisory capacity. Apart from this, there is e-Learning, the moment for which has now arrived, and I would want to return to the business of learning software as soon as I can.

Overall, my overwhelming feeling is that I am wasting time at this moment and I need to realign myself asap more towards the work for future. In fact, suddenly August seems a long way away and I am not sure I can carry on like this, with a divided mind. For the moment, however, I shall keep this post private, and only open it up when all this is over.

No comments:

Popular Posts

How To Live

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Last Words

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

- T S Eliot

Creative Commons License

AddThis