Saturday, January 02, 2010

2010: A Fresh Start in Everything


Well, yes, that's me. I thought I shall start with myself this year. As I make a fresh start, in almost everything and make an attempt to adopt a new way of looking at things.

To start with, I had to give this blog a character. Over last year, I made 276 posts, mostly original bits and pieces, to keep practising my writing. But, it has come to a point that I should make it more professional, well, because I have started getting comments and contributions. It is not about being vain about myself, but respecting other people's seriousness, and becoming serious myself.

The first thing, then, I had to decide what this blog is about. I have been writing about everything that came to my mind. I have quite varied interest, which can be summarized as State Of The World, but that is like making a short story out of an Encyclopedia. I have been reading and posting things about economics, psychology, education, India, politics and generally my life and work.

This was fun, writing without a purpose. But, seriousness demands some sort of discipline to start with. So, I decided to give this particular blog a character, and create thematic blogs if necessary to contain more disciplined writing. Take it as my resolution for 2010, I don't want to confuse people anymore what I am about.

In keeping with this lofty goal, I started keeping another journal, which is a draft of a book-length work I want to do about India. It is not a thesis or a novel, but a simple reflection about India and its history and culture, seen from an outsider's point of view. Yes, I don't deny it - I am an outsider.

What I wanted to do with Sunday Posts is to change this into a more personal journal, writing about reflections on things around me. I shall stop pretending to write essays, and I write, from now on, in first person. I decided to write rather openly about my life, which I have done before [but toned it down realizing that it makes my employers a bit uncomfortable]. But, then, 2010 is going to be an year when I shall move from employment to a more free life, from Elephant to Flee paradigm using Charles Handy's metaphor, and I should need to bother about employment contract less and less. I love being able to talk honestly about what I feel and who I am, and this is what I want to do in Sunday Posts.

What happens to my other work? I am writing odd bits and pieces in different websites and magazines, and I shall collect them in a different blog. As I mentioned, the discussion for my book-length work on India will feature in another blog. But, even devoid of all that effort, Sunday Posts should remain interesting. Because I am planning to make my life interesting. I am planning to chase my dream, which is about creating a business enterprise which will affect and change the lives of a great number of people. Yes, I am aware that I may fail and all this may sound too vain; but it is good to keep a record of my efforts so that I don't lose track myself. This means I am possibly going to become more open and honest about life than I previously was, though I must, I know, respect the privacy of individuals I come in contact with. So, expect a lot of anonymous quotes and generalized references: They are indeed as honest as it can be, because I am not trying to be nameless.

No comments:

Popular Posts

How To Live

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Last Words

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

- T S Eliot

Creative Commons License

AddThis